22. May 2015 13:25
Ankle joint consists of the three bones, the tibia, fibula and the talus, which are held together by ligaments. Ankle injuries are quite common specially among athletes and sportspersons, can occur at any age and are usually painful.
- Sprains and strains: Strains in the ankle are caused due to excessive stretching or tearing of muscles and tendons. However forceful twisting or bending of the ankle can also cause sprains.
- Arthritis: Ankle Arthritis causes inflammation in the joint, pain and swelling. The condition may eventually result in deformity, loss of joint function and disability in walking.
- Gout: Gout is a complex form of Arthritis and is characterized by severe pain, tenderness and redness in the ankle joint.
- Fracture: A broken bone can be caused due to a hard fall or bad landing from a jump. People suffering from weak bones are more prone to fractures of the ankle.
- Achilles Tendon Rupture: Achilles Tendon is the thickest tendon in the human body present in the back of the leg. A rupture or tear in this tendon can cause ankle pain.
- Burning pain
- Numbness or tingling
- Disability in walking
- Popping sound
The orthopedic surgeon physically examines the ankle to determine the extent of the condition. He may also recommend certain imaging tests like an X-ray to rule out the possibility of a fracture.
The orthopedic surgeon diagnosis the extent of the condition and accordingly devises a treatment plan.
- R.I.C.E. therapy: In order to treat sprains and strains the orthopedic surgeon can recommend R.I.C.E. therapy, which is rest, applying ice, compressing by wrapping the injured ankle with a bandage and elevating the foot. This therapy can be helpful in treating mild ankle pains.
- Medical assistance: Anti-inflammatory medication can also be helpful in managing ankle pain. These help relieve pain and also reduce swelling.
- Physical therapy and exercise: Stretching exercises can help in improving the flexibility of the ankle, helping in the treatment of ankle pain.
- Surgical Treatment:In severe cases like fractures, surgical assistance may be required to regain movement in the ankle.
Ankle pain can be mild and severe depending upon the severity of the injury. However it is recommended to consult an orthopedic surgeon for prompt diagnosis and treatment of the condition.